Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Safety First

Well I'm not sure if its because I'm getting older and wiser or I'm just over thinking things, but lately I've been really concerned with safety while I'm running.  So I figured I'd go over a few of the things I use while I run and hope to hear some of your ideas in return.

I always thread a whistle onto my iPod headphones.  That way I can grab it quickly if I need to.  I use one of the bright orange ones.  I figure that maybe it would be seen and someone might avoid me all together.
Secondly I carry my phone.  This has been a challenge as I have a Droid X, which is one of the large phones out there.  Recently I found the iFitness pouch (see separate review) and it fits my phone perfectly.

I wear it around my waist in the front.  I figure that getting my phone out of it from the front would be easier than the back in case of emergency.  

The next item is not legal in every area so check with your local police, but if I'm in the woods, I carry pepper spray that fits around my hand.  It wasn't expensive and again I hope I never have to use it.  I think that sometimes things like this will deter someone from attacking you.  They will go for the person without the pepper spray.  If you are going to carry something like this, make sure you are comfortable opening it and using it!
I also have Road IDs on both sets of my running shoes.  They look silly, but if nothing else they bring me peace of mind.  The company also offers bracelets, flashers and all sorts of other safety equipment.

Finally, I think the biggest things you can do to protect yourself don't have to do with gear.  Run in places you know and feel safe.  Run with a partner and don't run after dark.  Make eye contact with those you pass and make sure you can hear what is going on around you.  Finally, make sure someone knows where you are and when you should be back.  


Run Safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment