Thursday, November 25, 2010

Turkey Trot



I had my second race on Thanksgiving day. It was a Turkey Trot.  I was very nervous.  I had only raced once before as an adult (on Halloween of this year).  As it was my first race I had a PR on Halloween.  I was coming back from injury so I was pleased with just about anything I did.  Finishing thrilled me.

And so I felt the pressure was on for this race.  I was worried I wouldn’t beat my last time.  I was worried the colder weather would make my asthma act up.  I was worried that I would be tired from holiday activities. 

Well it was colder and I was very tired from going into NYC the night before the race to see the Macy’s balloons inflated.  I had a horrible meal and I barely slept the night before. 

I showed up at the race and figured I’d do my best and if it was a PR or I came in DFL, who cared, I was awake in in running shoes while most of the town slept in their warm beds.

Well I beat my last PR by almost 3 minutes!  I was thrilled!  Again, I don’t remember a lot of the race. I don’t remember being out of breath.  I don’t remember feeling like I was running any faster than I do in my training runs.  I just remember running, enjoying being with “my people” and loving the fact that I was blessed to participate in an event like that on Thanksgiving morning. 

I love racing.  I feel like when I attend a race I’m with “my people”.  I love the excitement.  I love the fact that to each and every person running or walking, the event is a challenge and together we are all going to do the best we can and find victory in our own way. 

Since my first race was on Halloween, I wore a tutu as my costume.  Well I’ve decided that its my thing.  Its my race skirt.  I wore the tutu today with a matching pigtail hat.  (My pigtails come out the side of the hat.)  I love the fact that lots of people complimented me on it.  I love the fact that running is fun and even the fastest runners can be silly and support others.  So for this Thanksgiving I’m thankful for so much, my friends and family, my health, the love I have in my life and for the sport of running.  I’ve posted some photos of me at the race today as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment