Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow Running

Okay a few weeks ago we have a blizzard here in New England.  A real life blizzard.  It was snowing sideways.  I opened by back deck door and the snow was up to my waist.  So the day AFTER the blizzard occurred I decided I needed to go for a trail run.

First of all my car got stuck in the parking lot.  They hadn't plowed yet and there were cars skidding everywhere, dogs were having a hard time getting through it and there were snow banks preventing traveling in the usual lanes.  I should have left then.  But I didn't.

I started running on the area that everyone travels on.  It wasn't horrible there.  Then, about 25 feet onto the trail, it got bad.  I was slipping and sliding and with any given step, I had no idea how far I would sink in.  I was about a half a mile in before I just had it and tried to walk.  I was as out of breath as I'd ever been and I was angry.  I could have turned around, but I figured it couldn't possibly be as bad going forward to I plugged on figuring I'd loop back at my first chance, which was only three quarters of a mile.

Although there were spots where the snow was non existent due to the gusts we'd had, most of the rest of the trail was treacherous.  It was as if I were in a nightmare, running and running and running and going nowhere.  Just about everyone else was walking, or had cross country skis or snow shoes.  I should have realized.

I made it back to the car, where my husband was waiting and I think every other word was a curse.  I had managed to pull my achilles tendon in the process.  The silver lining to the day was that my husband, who was taking photos, got this shot of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment