Thursday, March 3, 2011

My new joy

As some of you already know, my husband and I recently made a new addition
to our family.  We adopted a two year old border collie, Roxy.  While I knew
she was going to be a wonderful addition to our family and to my life, I had
not idea of the impact she would have and how quickly it would take hold.

From the moment I laid eyes on her I loved her.  From the moment she came
home with us and looked into my eyes with her loving ones, she turned me
into a ball of much.  She's an adopted dog so she is very concerned that she
is going to be left again, abandoned, etc.  Consequently, she is super
loving.  She loves to cuddle, lick and just be next to me or my husband.

I joke that she's my shadow.  Even when I take a shower, I can usually find
her perched on the back mat outside.

She needs some training to not bark at other people or dogs.  This is common
for adopted dogs.  Once they bond with their new owners they then become
very protective on them.  And so, we are carefully and lovingly working Roxy
through some simple activities to ease her into life.

However, every time I think of her at home I smile.  Every time I wake her
up for a walk in the morning, she brightens my day and at night I love
playing ball with her while she wags her tail happily.

I never thought I'd be a "dog Person" but I have very quickly become one and
I'm so happy about it.  I will report more on her progress as Roxy learns to
run with me and spends more and more time at the park with me as the snow
melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment