Thursday, May 26, 2011

Running for Women Review

I've read a lot of running books.  I'm not a super fast or competitive runner, but I do like to learn all I can about the sport and do what I can do improve my performance.

I recently bought myself Running For Women by Kara Goucher.  I wasn't sure if I'd learn anything new from this book, however, I was pleasantly surprised.

The book is broken up into manageable section that cover topics such as what to wear, what to eat, how to cross train, you name it.  The topics covered are great for both the beginner or someone looking to learn a little more more about part of their training routine.



We all know that Kara Goucher is a world class runner.  However, the book is written as if a dear friend was giving you advice.  It sounds like its written by "one of us".  And, the best part is that the advice is applicable today.  There are no complicated routines that you need a trainer to implement.  The words of encouragement come from the heart and when you put the book down you feel inspired and uplifted, as if a friend had given you a round of applause.

I particularly like the second about running for expecting mothers.  Its a topic that not many people address and is even taboo in some circles.  Kara answers question honestly.

This book is a candid look into Kara's life and although you won't be a world class runner after reading it, you will be empowered to own your running routine and to push yourself farther than you thought you could go.

No comments:

Post a Comment