Saturday, May 14, 2011

Saying Goodbye

May always reminds me of my grandmother.  Her birthday was close to Mother's Day and we always celebrated both together.

I know that everyone misses their family members when they pass away.  I'm not any different.  However, every time I think about my grandmother I get the resounding feeling that she's still with me.

I spent a lot of time with my grandmother growing up.  I was an only child and I didn't have a large extended family.  My grandmother and I were together a lot.  She stayed with us for holidays.  I spent weekends at her house.  A lot of what made the holidays special was her coming to stay.

My grandmother understood me and supported me.  Even if I didn't tell her something, she knew.  We had a bond that I still don't completely understand.  She was always there for me.

I lost her close to my 21st birthday and while things have never been the same, I know that every crazy thing I do to grow my business is dedicated to her.  Every time I get out there and run, its dedicated to her.

And most of all, when people roll their eyes at the loud, crazy person I am, its dedicated to her.  Because she was always herself.  She was always honest (sometimes to a fault!), open and willing to give.  I hope that I can honor her memory every day with the person I strive to be.

I miss her every day.  However, it doesn't make me sad.  Thinking of her makes me want to be a better person, strive to do more and to make her proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment