Monday, June 20, 2011

Bookworm

When I opened my company about five years ago I started reading everything I could on how to be successful and how to grow my business. I also devoured any book I could get my hands on about organizing.  Then, when I started grad school about 18 months ago I was too busy reading textbooks to read anything else.

However, after my recent graduation all of that changed.  Although I haven't had time to read books for pleasure in some time, I didn't stop buying them like I did.  I also accepted many offers to borrow books.  And so I ended up with a stock pile of books, both fiction and nonfiction that I wanted to read.

After graduation I started in on reading these books. I started with a running book, proceeded to a book about knowing your worth as a woman and then moved on to Water for Elephants.  (I tried to read Room, but didn't love it.)  I've now moved on to reading Walking Wisdom and after that I intend to read Three Cups of Tea and Eat, Pray, Love.

I forgot how wonderful it was to get involved in the lives of characters and to steal a few minutes away here and there to become part of another world.  I forgot how often I would think about books and getting away to find out what happened next in the saga I was reading.



I read much more quickly than I remember reading before and the best feeling is knowing that I don't have to remember the content of the material I'm reading and there will be no test at the end.

I am loving reading again and its a wonderful feeling of accomplishment to finish a book and to become part of the lives of richly written characters even for a short period of time.  I love chatting about books with friends and family, my mom in particular and I haven't been able to do that in quite some time.
I can also catch up on cultural references, books that became movies and best sellers.  I feel as if I'm rejoining part of society again!

I'm very much looking forward to a summer of reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment