Thursday, June 16, 2011

June Race Review




I recently ran my longest race ever.  I know its not a long distance compared to those my friends run all the time, but I'm proud of it.  Five miles.

The race took place after a HUGE storm hit Brookfield.  Lots of people didn't show up because they were still without power etc.  The course went through a development in the area and was mostly flat.  The biggest obstacle was the trees, branches and other debris that was still in the road from the storm.  The entire complex didn't have power yet, driveways were blocked, fences destroyed and roofs had holes in them.  It was not the type of scenic I like.  The scariest part was that in addition to the race volunteers showing us which way to go, there were lots of light crews helping runners avoid live wires.

I started off strong and keeping a solid steady pace.  I drove the course once but I was unfamiliar with it for the most part.  My iPod kept me occupied and before I knew it I was at the half way point.

I had some issues with my IT band in my knee tightening up but I stopped and rubbed it out like my physical therapist had showed me how to do and I was off again.

The course doubled back on itself so you see the people who are MUCH faster than you heading back towards the finish line when you are not even halfway done.

It was a very small race and mostly men so I came in towards the back of the pack.  However, I finished strong and with a time I'm happy with.  I need to leave a little bit more out on the course and I need to learn to not hold back so much, but other than that, I'm happy with my performance, getting out there to race, and I'm happy with my racing clothing/shoes choices thus far.

And on a side note, for the first time, we were able to let Roxy (our doggie) socialize at the start of the race and she did AMAZING!  Its been months in the works but she is become quite the people person!  I'm so proud of her!  Soon, we will be racing together!

No comments:

Post a Comment