Sunday, July 10, 2011

Fairfield 5k Race Review

Okay I know I said I wasn't going to run any more races this summer, but I couldn't help myself.  I added one in right before leaving for vacation. Which, I will tell you is not the ideal time to add in a race.

The week was chaotic and extremely busy.  However, we got up really early on race morning and headed to Fairfield.  The race started at eight am and the race was about an hour away, so it was a 5:30 am wakeup call for us.  My husband is such a great sport.

I was really excited for the race.  I felt like I was well rested, well fed, and felt great about it. Well, the best laid plans....


I started the race out just fine, however, my asthma quickly acted up and I was audibly wheezing.  It sucks, but I have learned to live with it.  I often have issues on humid days or by the ocean, where the water is very damp.  Anyway, the short version of the long story is that my time wasn't what I had hoped.


What I did learn is that what you tell yourself can make all the difference in the world.  I know that instead of telling myself to "Trust my training" and that "I could do this", I started with negative speak and before I knew it I was defeated before I hit the finish line.

After the race I swore I was going to take some more time off and not race again until fall, which was my original plan.  However, after one day, and talking the whole thing through with my the one person I knew who would "get it", my dad, I realize that a poor performance to me is a great performance to someone else.  I got out there and ran.  I put myself out there in a way many people never will.  I also finished at the top half of the race finishers.  So what if my time wasn't what I wanted?  It was a fun day, a fun race and most importantly, I LEARNED way more from my performance not being what I wanted it to than I would have if it had been just what I had wanted.


So, I'm thankful I didn't do that well at this race.  I'm more determined than ever in my training.  I'm set on those people who bring a positive influence to my life and those who make me feel great about myself.

I will be racing again, and soon.


On a note about the race.  This one was also a Stratton Faxton race and it has 1500 runners in the 5k.  That's WAY more than any other race I've run.  As a matter of fact, the last race I was had 100 runners.

The tee shirts were technical tees.  (I'm still in the newlywed phase of race running and still in love with the tees.)  The race was very well organized.  Although I can't remember their name right now, a local chiropractic firm donated 30 minute massages to all participants (which I will be booking SOON).  The "after party" was on the beach and the food was apples, bagels, watermelon and yogurt.  I do have to complain a little bit.  There was no bottled water, just lemonade and orange drink in milk cartons.  Not good for someone with sugar issues.



There is a half marathon the following day so this was just their warmup.  They had LOTS of porta potties and two sets of "real" bathrooms (beach ones that are there for beach goers).  There was a band on the beach and a band at the half way mark.  Pretty cool.  Obviously, I've never done a Rock And Roll otherwise this wouldn't have been so cool to me.

Overall, it was a great race.  With a change in attitude and perspective, one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment