Saturday, July 16, 2011

Two A Days

I've been doing the same workout routine for about six months now and I wanted to shake things up while I was out of town.  I didn't really want to increase my mileage that much all at once as I am still restricted on my per run mileage due to my hip injury.  I have also been experiencing some issues with my asthma that have made longer runs challenging.

So I brainstormed about how to overcome these challenges and still put some great miles in while I was out of town. It came to me (after a little Googling) to try two a days.  I would run 2/3 of the mileage for the day in the morning and 1/3 in the evening.

I started this at the start of the week and I loved it.  Doing two a days allowed me to take less time to workout and get back to the house to spend time with my family.  I didn't feel pressure to go out for a "long run".  I loved the freedom it afforded me.

I was also better able to track my asthma and how I felt.  I have quickly found out that while my energy levels are highest in the morning and my mind loves a 6:00 am run, my asthma is wide awake then too.  Later in the day it has quieted down and I'm able to run without so many symptoms.

So while I used to think two a days were crazy things saved for school teams trying to win the championship, I've changed my tune.  I love them.

I also love the idea of heading out after a long day and clearing my mind from a long day's work.  Its something I need and has paid off dividends in the two weeks I tried it out.

The timing of all of this has yet to be seen at home in my "normal" work environment.  However, I am changing things up with my business, traveling more and working less on a daily basis now and I hope that affords me the time to continue my two a days in the coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment