Friday, August 26, 2011

The True Meaning of Stress

A friend recently sent this to me and I loved it and wanted to share:

True Meaning of  Stress


     A young  lady  confidently walked around the room while leading and explaining   stress management to an audience; with a raised glass of water, and   everyone knew she was going to ask the ultimate question, 'half   empty or half full?'..... she fooled them all... "How heavy is this   glass of water?", she inquired with a smile.

Answers  called  out ranged from 8 oz. to 20 oz.

She  replied, "The absolute  weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long  I hold  it. If  I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If  I hold it for an  hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If  I  hold it for a day, you'll have to call an  ambulance.  In each  case it's the  same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it  becomes." She  continued, "and that's the way it is with stress.  If  we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the  burden  becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry   on."

"As with  the glass of water, you have to put it down for  a while and rest  before holding it again.  When we're refreshed, we can  carry on  with the burden - holding stress longer and better each  time  practiced. So,  as early in the evening as you can, put all your  burdens  down. Don't carry them through the  evening and into  the night... pick them up tomorrow.

Whatever  burdens you're carrying now, let  them down for a  moment. Relax, pick them up later  after you've  rested. Life is short. Enjoy it and the now  'supposed' stress that  you've conquered!"

No comments:

Post a Comment