Saturday, September 24, 2011

Repourposing

Well I will be posting more details about my move later on but I wanted to quickly post something about getting rid of stuff and repurposing.  During this move I've really realized that less is more.  I can see why people have the urge to get rid of EVERYTHING and start from scratch.

Anyway, I've made it my job to repurpose items.  I've been working with free stuff, antiques, things I've found etc.  And I'm thrilled with the results.  I love the retro/vintage feel of our new place and I know what when I can, I'm going to add even more elements of times past.  Here are two photos of my handy work.
The shelves above the dressers are actually DVD racks that we no longer use since we've gone digital.  I use them to display my Starbucks mug collection.  The dressers are really old.  My grandfather found them and worked on them about 40 years ago.  Since then, my parents refinished them and they were my baby furniture.  I then refinished them again and took them to college.  I like the shabby chic look now but may refinish them again.  The lamp was a free find and the train case as also found.  I love the way it all looks together!

I really love this one.  I should take a photo of it with the doors closed too.  This is actually a vintage ice box.  It was my husband's grandfathers.
I added the small bins to hold office supplies and now its a storage closet!  The breadbox belonged to my grandfather and there are office supplies in there.  The glass blender and vintage peanut butter jar were flea market finds on Vinalhaven and the Fiesta ware pitcher is actually a newer item that was gifted to me last year.  The tray, with elephants was also gifted to me a few years ago.

So although this has nothing to do with running, moving has been my "cross training" lately and I am pleased with the results and wanted to share!  I hope I've inspired you to repurpose, recycle and redo with what you already have!  (And if you don't have any vintage items, ask family members to peek in their basements and garages!)

No comments:

Post a Comment