Monday, November 28, 2011

Yoga Versus Running

I went to lunch with a dear friend today and she asked me if I liked hot yoga more than I do running.  I had to stop and think for a moment and I realized that I love them both and for every different reasons.

When I'm running, I love the opportunity to think things through. I may have a business idea that needs some thought and I can work it out on a run.  I may have something bothering me and I need the release that running provides me.  I may want to challenge myself and run as hard as I can doing sprints or something like that.  Regardless of what workout I'm doing, I love the fact that running allows me time to think about what's going on in my life and allows me time to work it out.

Yoga is just the opposite.  During yoga, I'm there for the time it gives me to NOT think.  I enter every class with my mind racing and my head full of what I need to do that night, what I was doing and had to stop in order to come to class, emails I need to answer etc.  I always think that like running, I will work it out during class.  However, before I know it I'm lost in my own breathing and trying to get the alignment right for the poses and before I know it the hour and a half class is coming to a close.  I'm drenched in sweat and although I haven't been able to work out anything in my head per se, my mind is clear and focused.

So I can't say if I like one or the other better.  One allows me to focus inward, the other allows me to focus outward.  I love both and I think they compliment each other perfectly.  And, they are both addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment