Friday, April 6, 2012

April Fool's Day Race Reveiw

Okay, this was a surprise race.  I ran it last year, but I wasn't planning on doing it this year.  My uncle then decided to run the 1/2 marathon and asked me if I wanted to do the 5k.  I said yes.

I've been having some troubles with my hip again and I've been nervous and backing off because of that.  I keep remembering those days 18 months ago when it was just a twinge, and I just wanted to do "another mile" and ended up with a detached IT band, physical therapy and six months without running.

So I signed up and was a little nervous.  However, I was there for fun and nothing else.
For the first time ever I took advantage of the pre race massage.  I told the therapist abut my hip and he went to work on it.  Before long it was apparent that he was shocked at how tight my hips were and hoped I was able to run that day.  I didn't know if I should find this funny or horrifying.

The race started and I was off at a decent pace, I kept slowing myself down, telling myself I had a while to go.  The race went by fast and before I knew it, I was in the second half and I knew it was time to pick up the pace.  I did stop for water and to loosen my hip.

I managed the second half in a two minutes less than the first half.  It wasn't a personal record, but I was happy with my time and I know that held back in order to avoid any more hip damage.  30 seconds gained would NOT have been worth the whole summer in physical therapy.

I'm glad I went and I had a great time!  My uncle finished his second half marathon and it was a wonderful day overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment