Sunday, May 6, 2012

I Get Knocked Down, But I Get Up Again

I've been trail running for year.  For decades in fast if you could the time I spent running trails in high school.  And I've never fallen.  Stumbled yes, but never actually fallen down.  Last weekend was different.

I was at the end of a five mile run and feeling pretty good about the run and all I had to do was go up one last hill and I would be back at the car.  I looked up at the hill, looked at a big black dog I was coming up on and then, splat!  I fell onto my hands and knees.  The person walking their dog close by seemed horrified.  I didn't think it was any big deal.  I got back up, sprinted up the hill and ran to the car.

My first thought was my pants.  I was wearing my favorite yoga pants from Lulu...and they were ripped.  Since they are tight and the rip was small, I didn't really see the cut.  I got on the road and then felt a bit woozy.  I called my hubby to let him know what was going on but soon decided to stop at Target to get something to drink. By the time I was at Target, there was a lot of blood and I got a lot of odd looks at the store.  I bought some pretzels and some Gatorade and headed home.

When I got home I realized it all all much worst than I thought.  My knee was black and blue and quite swollen.  Overall, I'm well healed now and will probably have a cool scar on my knee.  My pants are ruined for yoga forever and I had to take just under a week off from running.  So over all, it wasn't as bad as it could have been and I've learned to NEVER take my eyes off the trail!

No comments:

Post a Comment