Thursday, June 14, 2012

June Race Review

This past weekend I ran a five mile race in Brookfield.  I ran this race last year as well.  Last year it was 60 and cloudy.  This year it was sunny and 80!
However, it was a BEAUTIFUL day!

There were more runners than last year and even more walkers.  The race benefited JDRF.

I wore my Garmin so that I wouldn't go out to fast.  I did anyway and at about 3/4 of a mile in there is a hill.  It felt like a killer, but soon after that I got my groove back.  Before I knew it, I was at the two mile mark and I got a water break.  I walked for the water as I was hot and thirsty.

You run back by the same station a mile later and I got water again.  This time I dumped it down my neck to cool off.

I settled into a slower pace for the last mile or so and stopped once briefly to relax my IT Band.  I'm not sure if its a blessing or a curse that I can tell when its getting tense.

And as it goes in every race, before I knew it I was at the end.  My uncle had on bright blue and finished well before me and he was there cheering me on.

Since this was a smaller race as it always is for longer short distance races, I was in the back of the pack of finishers.  I was happy with my time though. It was almost four minutes faster than last year's time.

This is the third in the Brookfield four seasons series.  Now all I have to do is run the Halloween race and I get this year's "special prize" for people who have run all four!

Next up, a 5k in Fairfield (flat and hopefully fast).  Then, the rest of the summer off!

Here I am at the finish.  
Here with my aunt and uncle and a family friend, Jennifer.  Jennifer and I have run together at a few races and I always love seeing her friendly face at races!



No comments:

Post a Comment