Friday, July 6, 2012

Backing Off

If there is one thing I've learned in my running over the years its how to know when enough is enough. I've been pushing hard training for my past few races and I've been pleasantly happy with some PRs and my fastest times overall.  So now, my "racing season" is over for a little bit.

I have a lot of other things going on and they are taking my time and energy and I'm therefore readjusting my training schedule to be a little less difficult.  My longs runs are a little shorter, my tempo runs a little slower, etc.  I need the time to rest and relax mentally and physically.  In a few weeks I'll pick it back up and start pushing the envelope again.

This also works out perfectly with the temperature here in New England. We've had record breaking heat and with my asthma I'm not a big fan of running in the sun and heat.

To enhance the rest I'm taking I'm trying to increase the amount of time I'm spending doing yoga, deepening my yoga practice and working on my medication.  All together I'm hoping that I learn to be more mindful, and rest when and where I need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment