Saturday, May 4, 2013

Slow and Steady


Well after about 6 weeks I'm finally ready to start running again on this ankle. I have thought it was "fine" a few times and ended up with more discoloration, swelling and pain.

I also visited a doctor and when I asked her if I could run she replied "Are you crazy?"  So I babied the ankle and didn't wear any heels on my recently business trip.  I have worn flat, comfortable shoes and babied it by using the bike and lifting weights.

So today I suited up and headed out for a short run.   Let's just say it wasn't pretty.  While it is 60's and spring warmth fills the air in CT, off the coast of Maine it is COLD and blustery.  I had a hard time finding my rhythm.  I was so excited to be out I took out quite quickly.  Too quickly.

The wind took my breath away and my asthma wouldn't let me find it again.  My muscles were all rebelling from the intense weight workout I did a few days ago and my legs felt like lead.  



So while all of this was going wrong, I thought I'd want to give up.  I thought I'd want to sit down.  However, I was so thrilled with the progress I can make in the next few weeks and months.  I have crawled back from injury in the past, and I will do it again.  It is just another challenge to meet.  

I still love running.  I still love the challenge.  Now, like lots of people, I hate running when I'm in the moment and feeling like I can't take another step.  However, after the moment, I can't wait to get back out there and meet the new day.

Now running on Vinalhaven doesn't hurt either.  Waving at everyone who passes by, looking out at the sea and smelling the salt air are all wonderful motivators.  I love running through Main Street and looking in the windows of the toy store, used book store and grocery store. This will always be my favorite place to run and so it is the best place to start a comeback.

No comments:

Post a Comment