Friday, September 20, 2013

Eating for Asthma

So up until now I've been a fairly healthy eater.  I try to eat as many fruits and veggies as possible with protein and complex carbs.  Just like everyone else I have treats now and again and I love to celebrate with great food.

However, it recently came to my attention that what I eat directly impacts my asthma and how I feel the next day.  My doctor suggested I use a peak flow meter to determine how my levels vary from day to day.

Pair this with doing lots of research and my dad helping me from his experience and what I found wasn't pretty or fun.  The hard truth is that bad food=less air.  And it doesn't even have to be cookies.  Anything with lots of carbs (cereal, crackers) doesn't help out breathing.  Gluten also plays a role.  I'm not striving to be gluten free, but I'm trying to be aware and gluten is in everything.

Dairy is a big no no too.  It's a good thing I had mostly switched to almond or coconut milk a while ago.

Lots of green leafy veggies help your lungs; bananas, kale chia seeds, sunflower seeds....you know all the stuff you should be eating anyway and I already have in my pantry.  So, while the asthma is a pain in the you know what, it is already getting me to eat healthier, less processed foods.

When you stop and think about it, lots of the things we think of as "food" are made up.  Don't stop and think about it, your head will hurt.  Anyway, I found this and thought I would share it.  If you have advice to share about eating for asthma, please do!!  I'd love to hear from you.


No comments:

Post a Comment