Monday, October 14, 2013

Easy Threes

Well, I'm running again.  The good news is that I feel as if i could go forever.  The bad news is that I can feel it in my chest for the remainder of the day.

So, I'm probably pushing it a little bit, but it feels so good to be back out there with my feet hitting the pavement (we haven't gone trail running yet) and breathing the fall air.

We're had some amazing fall weather here in New England.  Warmer than normal and bright and sunny-exactly what you picture fall in New England to look and feel like.

I've been dressing a bit too warmly. It's always a knee jerk reaction at this time of year to look at the thermometer and throw on pants instead of shorts at 50.  It's also easy to get chilled quickly after your runs.  (When stopping for a pumpkin spice latte of course!)

I've been going slowly and telling myself to take it easy. Sometimes it's hard not to get caught up in Roxy's quest for speed and want to go faster, but I'm telling myself to rein it in.

I'm also learning the difference between normal running "pain" and actual lung and breathing trouble.  Everyone is out of breath and everyone is tired and wants to stop. So I'm trying to differentiate between that normal feeling and my lungs truly need a rest.



And so I'm calling these first few days back my "easy threes"... I'm trying to get out a few times a week at least, with Roxy to do an easy three miler.  Thus far, we're both thrilled with the progress and being out together.

When we pull into the parking lot Roxy will actually let out a whimper of excitement and start licking my face.  She waits patiently while I get my music ready and have a last sip of water.  Then, I leash her up and she hops out, with her tail wagging the whole time.  She looks back at me from time to time when we run with a smile on her face.

 Roxy's been calmer and happier at home since we back at running.  It's amazing how it can do that for both of us!  Here's to a great fall and winter running season and officially starting "real training" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment