Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Holidays

The holidays have always been one of my favorite times of the year. As long as I can remember I was enchanted by the lights, decorations and the feeling the season brings on.  My mom tells me that I used to want to put the Christmas decorations up the day after Thanksgiving.

For me, it was always about the special times with my family.  My grandmother would come to stay with us during the holidays and everyone would work all day to cook and then we'd watch movies together and play games, listen to music, play pool and relax.  I loved that interaction and those moments.

I don't remember a lot of gifts that I received as a kid. But I do remember all those times and some of the TV specials we watch and the food we ate.  That's what made my childhood special.

And now, I'm all grown up and I get to decorate So this year, we decorated the day after Thanksgiving.

I have a few mini trees too.  Our alma matter, The University of Maine releases an ornament every year and we have all of them.  I have a mini tree with our school colors in lights and garland, a mini mitten as a topper and some UMaine trees around the base.  The tree was once smaller, but it's grown as the ornaments got too heavy!


I also have a small Rhode Island tree. This is filled with ornaments that depict areas around RI.  This tree is very special as it was my grandmother's in the last years of her life.  I added some Cat's Meow buildings from my home town and some star fish to represent the sea.


And of course, we have a large tree.  This tree special too.  It was bought by my in laws the year before my husband was born.  It's so meaningful I'm pretty sure we won't ever get rid of it.  It does require a little repair every year though.  Oh and all of our ornaments are meaningful and bought to represent a new beginning or an event in our lives.  Putting them on every year is like looking at a photo album.


Overall I'm still loving the holidays and all they offer.  I wish I had more time with family, but the magic is still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment