Friday, March 28, 2014

Age

Everyone reading this who is older than me is going to roll their eyes.  They will say, "you have no idea…." BUT this is my story and the world as I know it.  Life as I know It in fact :)

I'm 35.  30 wasn't a big deal for me, I never feared it.  I never worried about getting older.  And then all of a sudden I realized that I was getting older, things were changing and life would never be the same.

While you can workout for hours on end, it's not practical.  I run/own three companies and I don't have a lot of free time on my hands.  I need to fit it in, when I can.  And I need to love that I'm doing.  I'll end up missing some days, there is nothing I can do about it.  Life calls and I have to answer.

On the flip slide, I also need to learn to take care of myself first.  Putting on my own oxygen mask is necessary before I can take care of everyone else better.  Once I put the dogs, clients, businesses, and household chores before myself, I start to feel "used up" and overwhelmed.  I do much better when everything comes after my self care.



And you know what?  Everything is still there when I get out of class, back from my run or off the bike.  And it all makes more sense.  It all seems easier.  I will always be hard pressed to leave the clothes unfolded before I head out the door, but that's my own cross to bear.

Can I do as much as I used to?  No, I don't have as much energy.  My asthma is worse and fitting into a size two isn't as easy as it once was.  However, I know that I am a better me now than I ever have been before.  Knowing what I need to work on, knowing what I need to do and working out as part of a whole life plan, has changed my experience with fitness.  I workout now for longevity.  I want to fit fit to live longer, take care of my body and be able to experience more life.  It's not about the pant size or the abs.

And food?  For the first time I can remember, I love it.  I eat to fuel my body and those treats I love, I let myself indulge in.  They are ok.  I'm feeling my soul.  It's okay to love food and to embrace it.  (Just not a lot of it.)

I'm sure this journey will continue for me, but in my mid 30's I have to say, I'm thrilled at where I am and pleased at the possibilities of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment